Shots! Shots! Shots!
When I first got a juicer, one of my friends said to me, “Trust me—the appeal will die down.” As it turns out, I’m a seasonal juicer. I will juice the heck out of some summer produce (lookin’ at you, watermelon) but can’t bring myself to juice in the winter—albeit, when it’s most needed. (This is the juicer I have, and it’s very easy to use.)
Now, more than ever, a strong immune system is vital to staying healthy (and keeping others healthy, in turn). I wanted to start taking a daily wellness shot—also called immunity shots—when I went into quarantine, but shots at the grocery store run $3-$5 apiece. With this recipe, you can make 30+ wellness shots at under $1 each. Sounds pretty good, right? If you invest in a juicer, you’ll save a lot in the long run. Plus, you’ll have a killer fresh watermelon margarita to share in the summer.
These shots contain six key ingredients: ginger, turmeric, apples, lemons, garlic, and cayenne. Here’s a quick run-down on the reasons:
- Ginger is an anti-inflammatory LOADED with antioxidants. It lowers pretty much everything bad in your body.
- Turmeric is also anti-inflammatory and is great for cognitive health and function. It boosts liver and thyroid function. This is a little harder to find at the grocery store, but I can usually find at Kroger. However, it’s much cheaper at your local international market!
- Apples promote a healthy gut and, in this recipe, they’re lending the flavor that keeps these shots palatable.
- Lemons are great for your skin—but they’re also incredible for your heart, blood pressure, and immune health.
- Garlic is a long-loved, anti-inflammatory wellness ingredient. It improves cardiovascular health and boosts immunity. In lab tests, it even appears to kill cancer cells.
- Cayenne lends a kick and aids in digestive health, pain relief, and lower blood pressure.
One thing to keep in mind when you’re making your shots is that turmeric stains. It is potent and wonderful for you, but it’ll stain your countertops, clothing, metal sinks—anything it can touch. For this reason, be extra cautious as you juice your turmeric. If a little gets on the counter (it does for me every time) you can clean it up with some Comet.
Ginger-Lemon Wellness Shots
2 lbs. fresh ginger (I use 7-8 large pieces)
1 lbs. fresh turmeric
3 lbs. apples (I use gala)
2 lbs. lemons
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. ground cayenne pepper (depending on your heat tolerance)
Juice ginger, turmeric, apples, lemons*, and garlic. Whisk juices together in a pitcher, and then add ground cayenne. Keep mixture refrigerated in a sealed container or pour into individual 2-oz. glass bottles. If you’re not using individual bottles to keep your shots in, drink 2 oz. of wellness shot liquid (about 1/4 cup).
*I have recently started peeling my lemons before juicing them to make it a little easier on my juicer.
You can take shots every day. I even take two-a-days when I’m feeling extra vulnerable. The mixture has kept for two weeks for me, but if you make a lot and feel like you won’t be able to drink it all, just pop it in the freezer in a container where it has room to expand a bit. Then, simply thaw when you need more shots.
To good health!